Happy Monday! I was recently asked to participate in a special campaign with Herdez for Día del niño, or the Day of the Child. When I was asked I couldn’t have been more excited. Although I don’t have any children of my own, children are a very special part of my life. Jonathan has lots of nephews and nieces and I wanted to share my experiences that I have with them on my blog. I invited Jonathan’s niece, Jenna over for a special day of cooking dancing and laughing. Jenna loves to cook and I was teaching her the importance of trying new foods even if she thinks she might not like something. She was surprised to find out that she loves Guacamole and we ate lots of chips with guac and made some tasty Chicken Fajitas and topped them with Herdez Salsa Verde. It’s so important to get your kids active in the kitchen with you and teach them to eat wholesome and delicious foods. We had an amazing time and even danced the Macarena! I’m sharing my very own recipes I made with Jenna you can even head over to Herdez to get more recipe ideas, and don’t forget to celebrate Día del niño on April 30th!
- 2 large pieces of chicken breast sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of HERDEZ® brand Salsa Verde
- Warmed HERDEZ® brand tortillas, guacamole and salsa to serve
- In a medium bowl, combine HERDEZ brand Salsa Verde, oil, salt and pepper. Whisk everything together until smooth.
- Add chicken strips to marinade and toss to coat. Transfer chicken with marinade to re-sealable plastic bag and seal. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours to tenderize and develop flavors.
- Heat a cast iron pan over high heat until hot to the touch. Grill chicken strips over medium-high heat cooking 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Transfer cooked chicken strips to cutting board to rest. While the strips are resting, add olive oil to skillet if needed and cook onion and peppers, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Remove skillet from heat.
- Transfer chicken back (with juices) to cast iron skillet. Serve hot with warmed tortillas, guacamole, salsa and other toppings of your choice, we used sour cream, cheese, lime and extra HERDEZ brand Salsa Verde!
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 jalapenos seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Warmed HERDEZ® brand tortilla chips to serve.
- In a small bowl, mash avocado with a fork or potato masher to make a slightly chunky mixture.
- Stir in lime juice, onion, tomatoes, jalapeño and salt.
- Serve with warm HERDEZ® brand tortilla chips.